Thursday, May 04, 2006

Braces

Yesterday I had braces installed on my lower teeth! I have been having problems with my TMJ over the past few months.  My front bottom teeth and front top teeth have become almost edge to edge! I believe this all started when I was fitted for a CPAP machine last December. I have always slept with my mouth open, but had to learn to sleep with my mouth closed while wearing the CPAP mask. I am pretty sure my tongue has been pushing on my bottom teeth and over time has moved them forward. My top front teeth did not move because I have been wearing a retainer on them at night  for the past 25 years! I really wish that I had know that keeping my mouth closed at night could move my teeth. I would have had a retainer made for the bottom teeth. As it stands now, I will be about a year and a half in the braces and then will have to wear a retainer on the bottom for the rest of my life.  I was lucky to escape full braces when I was a teenager. My orthodontist worked with me and made removable retainers to position my crooked teeth. At the time I was a beginning actor and couldn't be locked down to braces. I think I maybe should have paid extra this time and tried the same thing. I really didn't realize how hard it was going to be to eat and floss! I hope I get used to them...right now I am resisting the temptation to go get wire cutters and solvent remover!!!!

No comments: